Battery Systems Engineer
Bold Valuable Tech are looking for a senior engineer with extensive knowledge in Battery development to work on advanced racing EV battery systems with a short turnaround and high-performance requirements, for our new office and production plant in Barcelona, (Spain). Engineering skills of all types are welcome provided this person can carry out the reasonably expected duties of an experienced Battery Systems Engineer. The tasks will be performed under the supervision of the Design Office Manager and in close cooperation with other team members.
- Analysis and verification of initial specifications from customer.
- Generation of battery system architecture design and sizing.
- Responsible for Cell selection and establishing cell supplier relationships.
- BMS development through testing, modelling and analysis using MATLAB / Simulink and Software/Hardware in the link testing.
- The successful applicant will work on the integration, application and virtual testing of models and algorithms.
- Liaise with simulation and mechanical design teams to evaluate and define thermal management strategies.
- To define safety and control systems.
- HV components sizing, selection and integration.
- Responsible for defining standard operating procedures for safe handling of batteries within a laboratory and a real environment.
- To work closely with factory team and/or suppliers during the build phase of the project to help resolve any build/assembly issues.
- To maintain an up-to-date technical awareness of the business requirements.
- To carry out all duties in accordance with the company policy and standards.
- Work closely with the Design Office Manager to coordinate and effectively plan and programme the designs to ensure the assembly team has sufficient time to meet key dates and deadlines.
- Electrical Engineering / Power Electronics Engineering or equivalent design experience.
- Excellent knowledge of and direct demonstrable experience (>5 years) in complete Battery Systems Design and testing.
- In–depth knowledge of EV Power Train systems.
- To be totally informed on Battery Pack Testing Requirements (e.g. UN38.3, ECE R100.02).
- Experience in the design of cell testing experiments using industry standard cell cyclers for the purpose of characterising and validating battery models as well as research on battery cell behaviours.
- Strong experience in MATLAB / Simulink modelling for control system development and equivalent circuit models.
- Knowledge and understanding of common approaches to BMS and Communications.
- Native or highly proficient in English.
- Must have permission to work legally in the EU.
- Motorsport design experience.
- Knowledge in FEA and / or CFD simulations.
- Knowledge in CAD with Catia v5.
- Vast knowledge of materials used in motorsport and aerospace applications (metallic alloys / technical polymers / composites).
- Permanent contract
- Be part of a start-up that thrives on high-performance batteries and structures.
- Barcelona is one of the best cities to live in as it offers plenty of opportunities to have a good time outside work. The weather is unbeatable as is the quality of life.