Principal Engineer – Battery and Propulsion System
Bold is a young electric vehicle technology company. We leverage our experience in motorsports to develop high-performance battery technology that is light weight, modular and scalable. We want to make Formula 1 battery technology available at scale.
After achieving a +200% organic revenue growth (no marketing, no external investment/grants) over the last 2 years, Bold is currently preparing for an unprecedented growth stage and is looking to fill several key positions within the company to execute the business plan.
About the Role: Reporting to the CEO, the Principal Engineer Battery and Propulsion Systems will be responsible to lead the end-to-end technical development of our battery and propulsion systems projects, including concept development, engineering, QA, testing, assembly, and resource allocation throughout the project life, ensuring deliverables meet internal and external customer requirements and expectations.
- Responsible for the end-to-end delivery of BOLD’s battery and propulsion systems, which meet program-specific targets including functional performance, regulatory, quality, cost, and timing
- Responsible for setting, developing, and monitoring technical program functions, specifications and KPIs
- Responsible for system and component DFMEA generation and development
- Work with key suppliers to deliver prototype and PPAP parts to schedule, meeting quality and performance requirements.
- Lead issue resolution through industry standard problem-solving methods
- Stablish robust, scalable process that guarantee minimum error and development time, while maximising quality
- Identify opportunities to reduce complexity, cost, and weight.
- Develop and guide the engineering function capabilities and team members, always striving for improvement excellence
- Degree qualified in a mechanical/electrical engineering discipline.
- Experienced at developing, as a lead / senior engineer, several high-performance battery and propulsion systems for EV or equivalent relevant experience.
- Experienced Senior engineer with a track record managing a diverse team of engineers, someone who leads by example and through empathy
- Have a good all-round engineering knowledge, i.e., material selection, thermal management, tolerancing, FEA analysis, component manufacturing processes, quality control, etc.
- Project planning, DFMEA, DFA, DFM experience
- Self-directed and detail oriented, with strong communication, problem solving, skills
- Excited at the opportunity to join a high-growth start-up, comfortable operating in an ever-changing environment and able to adapt and thrive in such a business
- Automotive/EV industry experience, ideally at a high growth start-up / scale-up
- Hands-on in style and excited about building an EV engineering function that is highly scalable and robust for years to come
- Knowledgeable about regulatory framework applicable to EV battery packs
- Good project and supplier management skills, with commercial and customer awareness.
- Permanent contract with a competitive salary and bonus
- Be part of a start-up that thrives on high-performance EV powertrains.
- Based near Barcelona, one of the best cities to live in as it offers plenty of opportunities to have a good time outside work.